stung by a jellyfish, really!
I'm not going to write much about my stay in Ho Cho Minh City (Saigon) even though that's where some of the largest underground tunnels were bult to protect the Vietnamese aginst the Americans. I don't have any pictures to put up since I lost my cheap-o camara, and as a result, I've lost the motivation to recreate everything.
My last stop in Vietnam was on peaceful Phu Quoc Island. One week of lying on the beach, writing, reading, eating delish seafood, swimming, drinking Vietnamese wine, and living in a bamboo bungaloo was just what I needed to take a "vacation" from this vacation. Early wake-up calls to go sightseeing weren't needed here, but mainly, I escaped to this remote island to get away from the irritating locals who would love nothing more than to sell tourists something--all the time. Thankfully, there was none of that here.
One morning, I was swimming, just minding my business, until I felt a sting on my foot that turned into a buuuurning sting in a matter of seconds. I looked down and holy shit---I got stung by a MASSIVE red jellyfish (maybe the size of 2 phone books). I went to a pharmacy where--Vietnam being the developing nation it is--they prescribed Vasoline and cotton. Consequently, my foot swelled up to the size of a rotten mango that had bursted yellow goo outside of its' skin. Disgusting? Yup. Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of the beautiful scenery or of my "gangrine" foot (appropriately coined by my cousin).