Tales From A Broad

My year of teaching English in Japan is up. Next mission: backpack Asia before going home to the U.S.A. Currently HOME!





one of the 7 wonders of the world: Bayon

Pensive at Bayon temple.


So many head statues.

Bayon temple is notorious for the countless carvings of Buddha-Hindu heads. Although most of them are missing ears or mouths due to nature and time, they are still pervasive. I climbed to th very top to find an old Khmer woman worshipping in a small room. When she finished praying, she spotted my curiousity and motioned for me to meet her at the top of the stairs. Despite the language barrier, she taught me how to properly pay my respects by letting me copy her. She gave me incense sticks, clapped a few times, bowed here and there, and sat motionless. After I followed her lead, I thanked her and put my donation at the alter.

The beautiful Khmer woman I worshipped with.

I took the rest of my time to sit in a nook to write in my journal. The ideal place for introspective inspiration.

Labels: , , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment