Tales From A Broad

My year of teaching English in Japan is up. Next mission: backpack Asia before going home to the U.S.A. Currently HOME!





walking out of Malaysia

...and into Thailand was cake.

(*^_^*) Hooray! My pics from Malaysia are finally here!

I split a taxi with 3 other travellers to the border and had no problems with the immigration police on either side. We literally walked right in. Instantly, I felt the stark difference between easygoing Thailand and strict, Muslim Malaysia. Women in short skirts, not long black burkhas; men and women holding hands in public; buckets of liquor for sale in almost every store. Thais love to play and seem more open to breaking free from the constraints of the staus quo. Welcome ladyboys and interracial couples!

We waited for the next train to Surat Thani, the launching point to the islands off the east coast. We were in for a 9 hour train ride from hell. The cheap plastic covering the hard seats could only stick to my thighs from the lack of A/C and sweltering humidity. In case we wanted a beer or water, there was a suspicously friendly vendor asking if we wanted to buy any drinks from him every 10 minutes--for 9 hours.
"Want drink?
No thanks.

Now want drink?
No.

Now?
I'm fine. Really."

Oy vay.

Once in Surat Thani, we took an overnight ferry to Koh Tao, that sort of reminded me of pictures of slave boats I used to see in my high school's textbooks. We were tightly packed little cigars on the deck of this slow boat, sleeping nose to nose with our neighbors.

Forget coconuts. Thailands biggest import: poor backpackers. Our overnight ferry to Thailand's eastern islands.

Surprisingly, the gentle rocking of the sea put me right to sleep, and I awoke to a new place, another group of aggressive locals offering me a tuk-tuk (local taxi) or a guesthouse. A tropical rude awakening, but it felt good to be back at a beach!
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment