Tales From A Broad

My year of teaching English in Japan is up. Next mission: backpack Asia before going home to the U.S.A. Currently HOME!





Thailand, revisited

Para mi familia: Dejé Tailandia antes de las problemas con el militar. ¡No te preocupes!
Thailand is so good that I had to come back for seconds. Seeing how I had to head north anyway, and I'm travelling on everything except planes--motorbikes, cars, trains, buses--Thailand is THE gateway hub to the rest of Asia. The "hardcore" Asia. I'm not going to write too much about Thailand since I already did that when I came here for Christmas. There are just some things that I'm really noticing the second time around.

Missed out? Read about my last trip to Thailand here!

Thailand is the most Western-friendly place in Asia: guesthouses are everywhere, restaurants serve Thai and Western food, practically everyone who deals with tourists in any way speaks decent English and there are tons of places that can arrange anything and everything for you. Need to get a visa for Camdodia? No problem. Want a bus from Bangkok to Chang Mai? OK! Said you want to call home? I've got a great deal.

Thailand is EASY. Anyone can come here and pretend like they've conquered Asia, but it's a slight illusion. Everything is geared to the tourists and its pretty hard to have an adventure that wasn't organized by some company or guesthouse. Unlike the rest of their neighbors, Thais have embraced Westernization, tourism and modernization, while the rest of Asia would rather cry themselves to sleep than see a McDonald's in their villages (Completely understandable, in my humble opinion). You won't see Burma running to Starbucks to get a franchise anytime soon.

Regardless, I was happy to be back in Thailand, the Land of Smiles. Things are just so much more laid-back here. I made a week-long stop on the tropical island Koh Phnanghan to learn how to do Thai massages and drink those lovely buckets of joy.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment