Tales From A Broad

My year of teaching English in Japan is up. Next mission: backpack Asia before going home to the U.S.A. Currently HOME!





take me to the islands

The Perhentian Islands had the most remote and beautiful beaches I've ever seen.

Cameron Highlands was great and all, but I'm a beach girl and have been without them for too long. It was time for me to head east to the beautiful Perhentian Islands, which are world reknowned for its scuba diving. I spent a week doing absolutely nothing there. No bargaining with cab drivers. No blogging or writing emails. No waking up early. No sightseeing. My toughest decision was whether to drink a papaya or mango shake. I stayed in a cheap bungalow with a mattress, a mosquito net and 4 Finnish guys. Life was good.

This eagle came every evening to harass one of the bar owners for a plate of fish.

I came to the islands at the perfect time: mother turtles were making their nightly journeys on the sand to lay their eggs. By morning, baby turtles were trying to break their shells and crawl in the water. The locals don't let tourists watch the females at night as to not disturb them with camara flashes, but they do let us see the baby turtles hatch in the dayttime. They're no bigger than my palm and are unbelievably adorable.

These newborn baby turtles are too young to walk to the ocean by themselves.

MUAH!! A turtle kiss.

My only complaint was that there were way too many couples on the island and I was later told that it is one of the top honeymoon destinations for Europeans. Not a place for a single American. *le sigh*

P.S. I'm pretty bummed that my digi camara is still taking super fuzzy pics, so all of these pics are taken with a crappy disposable camara that really doesnt show how gorgeous this island is. :(
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment