Tales From A Broad

My year of teaching English in Japan is up. Next mission: backpack Asia before going home to the U.S.A. Currently HOME!





Crossing the border

I took the bus from Singapore to Malaysia with an American guy I met in my hostel. He's one of those well-to-do business types who made millions in his twenties (!!) by owning his own futon business (how random is that?!). He said he got burned out from the lifestyle, the "fake people who stick around when you're cool," the stress and, admirably, left it all.

He sold everything he owned--the house, the Porsche, the yacht, so he could travel Australia and Asia. Now he supports himself with the oddjob here and there like picking fruit, working as a carny at a local fair, painting with the Aborigines... Far from the power lunches and suits he was used to in the States--now he was sharing his butter knife with me, a hopeless gypsy, and my peanut butter on a $2.50 bus to Malaysia.

I've found loads of people like him in the past year. People with incredible stories who I just dont get to meet when I'm home. There's always a hint of desperation with them...and restlessness. If I met any of these people while I was still in college, I probably still would've thought they were amazing, but that their lives of travelling were impossible for a nobody like me. Thanks to people like him, I've changed my mind.

We arrived in Kuala Lumpar, Malaysia's capital just long enough to sleep, eat DELISH Indian food and look at the world's 2nd tallest building in the world, the Petronas Towers. But, Oh no!!!! My digi camara wasnt working! I couldnt take a pic of the towers and I still havent managed to fix it, so all my pics starting from Malaysia are a bit crap b/c i'm using those cheap-o disposable camaras. :(

There's not much to write about Kuala Lumpar:
Ridiculous Traffic + No Traffic Laws + Pollution + Lots O' Cheap Shopping + A Chinatown = A Big Asian City

The next day, I took the bus up north for some jungle trekking and tea!
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment