Tales From A Broad

My year of teaching English in Japan is up. Next mission: backpack Asia before going home to the U.S.A. Currently HOME!





Singapore tastes so good

China was great and all, but I was ready to get back the comforts of a developed nataion, and Sinngapore was the perfect remedy. For the first time in weeks, I could walk down the streets without having people grab me, stare at me, or yell at me to buy something. For the first time in weeks, I was just a fly on the wall, observing this new, clean and wonderful city that is Singapore.

Yes, it's true that the streets are immaculate and trashless. It's also true that you can be put to death for drug trafficking or even having drugs in your system. But, it's not true that chewing gum is illegal as the myth would suggest. The truth is you can chew it, but you just can't import it. There are lot so wacky laws in this little country.If you want to buy gum, you need to go to the pharmacy and get a pescription by putting your name on a list!
I was also happy to be in Singapore because it was the first time in more than a year that I was surrounded by lots of food from home. Starbuck's Frappuccinno bottles, Tim Tams, a wide variety of cheeses,Slurpees, etc.--you name it, and they got it. This, of course, was on top of the already delish food they have like spicy lime noodles and fruity ice desserts.

I loooove these icy-fruity-slushy-desserts.

Singapore reminds me of Miami. They both are hot, sticky and humid; have tons of palm trees and men selling mangos on the street; have a large and diverse culture; and pink and yellow buildings are all over the place in both cities. All you have to do is subtract the Cubans and replace them with Indians and you've got yourself a nice little replica!

Maybe that's why I was so impressed with Singapore. It's the only Asian county I've been to that can TRULY classify itself as diverse. There's a large Chinese, Muslim, Indian and Western population and each of their religions are equally prominent: Islam, Hindu and Christiantiy

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment