Tales From A Broad

My year of teaching English in Japan is up. Next mission: backpack Asia before going home to the U.S.A. Currently HOME!





Little India

The markets in Singapore's Little India. There were NO women!

As soon as I arrived in Singapore, I dropped my bags off and wandered the streets. My hostel was located in the middle of Little India which was easily one of the most fascinating experiences I've ever had in Asia. For starters, Little India was crowded with so many people and they all were men! I really was the only woman I saw in the whole market, but surprisingly, I didn't feel threatened in the least. Not only was I safe, but no one was even payoing attention to me, whcih was so refreshing fresh out of China. Did you know that heterosexual Indian men hold hands and it's not considered gay like the Western world perceieves it?

An Indian woman in a Hindu temple, drawing religous pictures with chalk.

The atmosphere was so lively and energetic. Nagchampa incense smoke was burning from within the little mom-and-pop shops that sold Henna ink, elephant statues, lotus flower garlands to donate to the temples. The deeper I got in the market,m the more enthralled I was. I stumbled upon a Hindu temple that was doing the Sunday nigt serv\vice. People were eating rice on the floor with their bare hands while I was staring at all the statues. Maybe I saw one too many Buddhist temples in japan, with teh same plain black, white and brown woods, but I fell in love with the bright colors and graphic statues that this temple had. I wa sso lucky becaused they were doing a special festival that night where they put one of the statues of their goddesses on a float in the middle of the street. One of the minsters lit a plate of vegetables and offered it to the goddess. Even in this traditional ritual, hundreds of Indian men were snapping shots with their cell phones. Being exposed to Indian culture so much, eating the curries (the cheese naan was amazing!), listening to the music, meeting the people really piqued my interest to go to India some time soon!
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment