Tales From A Broad

My year of teaching English in Japan is up. Next mission: backpack Asia before going home to the U.S.A. Currently HOME!





Hi from Shanghai

I got Mao's Revenge today. They call it that b/c he was their big communist leader that all the Chinese adored 30 years ago or so. Apparehently, he comes back from the dead in the form of watery poo and dumpling chunks. I'm in Shanghai, and have done almost everything there is to do here, so am just waiting to leave in a few days to Singapore. In the meantime, I'll try my best to get my pictures uploaded.

Jamie, her friend Ben, and I set out to Shanghai on another overnight train. This one was much nicer than the first one I took with Selena. Not as much spitting on the floor and the bathrooms didnt make us want to puke. Looked like we were on a good start! Jamie and I got the top bunks of our sleepers, which made us turn into little girls giggling at a slumber party. "Take a picture of me with my head squished by the ceiling!! tee-hee-hee!"

You should've seen us trying to climb to the very top.

Hopeless

What's Shanghai like? If you can imagine a city fashioned after Batman's Gothic City, well, Shanghai would be it. As Ben commented, there were too many tall buidlings. It's hard to imagine how much concrete and steel was used to make everything that it almost takes on a fake-like quality that's quite impressive. By night, the skyline seen from both sides of the river that runs through it is stunning. A synchronized light show from the Pearl Tower, the 3rd tallest building in the world, colors the boats cruising the river below. The endless erray of open air cafes makes the whole business area much more apporachable, touristy and even glitzy. It's so modern. It's so Westernized. It's so hard to believe that this is China.


The Pearl Tower is the building with the ball at the top. I couldn't decide when the skyline was the most stunning. Daytime...?

...evening?

...or nighttime?

There's really not many historic places to see in Shanghai, so the highlights of our stay in Shanghai ended up being the food and day trips outside of Shanghai. Although we did visit some nice gardens, a Daoist shrine, the Bund, Nannjing Road, and other scenic streets.

Nanning Road

These random, slightly disturbing statues kept showing up at the most random places: next to trash cans, in the middle of sidewalks, etc. Jamie and I just oculdn't resist being retarded.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment