Tales From A Broad

My year of teaching English in Japan is up. Next mission: backpack Asia before going home to the U.S.A. Currently HOME!





attacked by an octopus

Ouch!!!!

It's no surprise to those close to me that I'll try just about anything once, and I'm especially interested in quirky, sometimes strange things (fortune tellers, ghosts). That's why I couldn't resist trying out some good 'ol traditional Chinese medicine. Acupuncture? Sure! Fire cupping? Oookay!

So, I set up an hour long appointment with a local Chinese doctor, a little lady who wore panty hose socks and a long flowery dress. She felt more like my grandma than a doctor, so I felt like I was in safe hands. The agenda for the day would be to release the tension in my neck, shoulders and upper back by inserting long, thin needles in my pressure points (acupuncture) and suctioning my skin with small cups (fire cupping).

In less than 5 minutes, she had stuck about 10 needles starting from the ends of both of my hands, up my arms until they met up to my neck. I couldn't feel most of them, but the few that I could feel were a little uncomfortable because they were piercing my nerves. The trick to the whole procedure is that I'm supposed to lay with the needles in my body for about 20 minutes, so I couldn't feel them after awhile. Of course, all of that changed when she'd stepped back into the room, twisting each of them. When the 20 minutes were up, she pulled them out and started on the fire cupping.

She lit the outer rims of tiny cups (think candle holders that you put tea lights in) to activate the sticky substance outlining it. Then, in one quick action, she put it on my skin while twisting it. This formed a sort of vacuum that suctioned the cup to my body. Again with the waiting. 25 minutes passed before she pulled each on off, creating a farting sound that made me want to giggle, but for fear of tempting the Chinese gods, I controlled myself.

My appointment finished, and I met back up with Jamie and Ben to show them my battle wounds. "You look like you got attacked by an octopus!" Jamie said. These circle bruises stayed on my body for about 4 days. Did it work? Hmmmm... Well, I only did one treatment, so I wasn't expecting a whole lot. I did feel like someone punched my back, but I'm not sure that it made me feel more relaxed. It was fun to try though!
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

At 11:53, Blogger tito said...

what the F*#$ , this is the most retarded procedure ever, i could do that to you for free with a toilet plunger    



At 10:53, Blogger laura said...

wow, this is quite scary looking!!!

am loving all the pictures but havent had time to read through all your posts yet. :) keep up the good blogging! :)    



» Post a Comment