Tales From A Broad

My year of teaching English in Japan is up. Next mission: backpack Asia before going home to the U.S.A. Currently HOME!





Kobe Recontracting Conference



The recontracting conference is for JETS all over Japan to meet in Kobe for 3 days of unrestrained mania and I suppose there's some workshops squeezed in there somewhere. As everyone knows by now, I was lucky enough to go even though I'm not staying on the program for a second year. I quite possibly could be the only person in JET history to pull off such a scheme, but I still stand by my alibi: I was innocently forced! You see, I canceled my 2nd contract a couple of weeks before the conference, leaving my boss, in true Japanese fashion, apprehensive about changing the original plans. He sent me off anyway.

I'm really glad I did because if nothing else, it was the best and probably last chance I will get to see everyone, from my prefecture and all others from Western Japan, at the same place and time. Even better as it was El Diablo and Hannah-channah's birthdays. Good convo, long nights, stolen wheelchairs, indoor fountain swimming, Japanese cheerleaders, over-priced Indian food, missed workshops, bad karaoke, spastic dancing...oh dear.

Why did I quit? Long story short, I cant pay my bills back home and travel at the same time. It's hard for me to justify another year here, in my non-descript town (remember, no trips), while the rest of my life is on a backburner. Especially when they're other things I'd rather be doing than teaching, and other places I want to go to other than Japan. I'll be going home to take care of business ASAP so I can do another adventure like this, but more specific to what I want, while I'm still young, single and crazy. :) Ironically, the conference only made me that much more confident in my decision because a lot of the 'Guch JETS approached (read: interrogated) me about my rationale for leaving.

Sidenote: I found it interesting that not only did some of these people rarely/never talk to me any other time of the year, but also insinuated that I was making a bad decision b/c it's too responsible for someone my age--kinda like, "Don't worry about that, take care of your bills after the 2nd year finishes." To add insult to injury, a rumor spread that I'm going home b/c of my family. FALSE!

I was left having to defend and explain myself for a choice that leaves me quite satisfied and resolved. Yet, there have been a few who have expressed genuine regards in me leaving and not questioning my motives. My sincerest "thanks" to those. To the others, well....

I'm normally a big advocate of not fueling the fire by publishing a scandal on a blog (so my apologies for the emotional diarrhea), but I had to make an exception for this one. I don't want to leave the country misunderstood.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

At 06:10, Blogger mashio spillip said...

remember, you're doing everything and everyone before you leave!!    



At 07:36, Blogger Turning Japanese said...

You are leaving?

Did I miss something?

What are your current plans?    



At 08:21, Blogger Cee Pee said...

oh yea baggins, i'm doing EVERYTHING!! not sure about everyone though...

oops, sorry ur finding out the backwards way! yea, i'm leaving japan the same time as u guys. current plans: backpack china and SE Asia before making my way home. After that, its jobhunting time 4 me.    



At 08:40, Blogger Lauren said...

Hey Christine! I didn't know you were leaving either!! As long as you're happy with your decision, and you know why you're going then that's the most important thing! You sound like you've got your path sussed, and I'm sure you're gonna have another great big adventure like JET! Here's to life after JET,eh! See you soon hun! p.s you coming to yukata party and leavers party??    



At 05:34, Blogger laura said...

didn't realise you got so much interrogation over it! :( (sorry, i know i contributedto the questions!) everyone who's staying is going to miss you, but obviously you know what's best for you.
kobe was excellent!..still waiting to see if some of those incriminating photos of certain fountain swimmers will surface... maybe in the next zenzen. ;)    



At 08:16, Blogger Pauline said...

tanuki will be so heartbroken! you'll have to break it to him yourself. he's not so websavvy.

i was really looking forward to a 2nd year...we'll have to play some more before you leave. when's your last day in the guch? i'm leaving july 22nd for the states    



At 03:18, Blogger Cee Pee said...

thanks lauren. will def be at the yukata and leavers party. i gotta say goodbye to everyone! :)\

no worries laura, u were just fine and a good roommate too (except that we're not very good with morning calls..heheh)

oh that vixen tanuki. pauline, tell him to get over his fears ad use a phone to call me. i promise i wont throw him out like dave did! :) i know the second year is going to be even better than the first, so it kind if sucks to leave. u guys will just have to tell me all about it! i'm leaving japan the same day u leave for the states! i'm going to china than backpacking se asia for awhile!!    



At 19:48, Blogger goongirl said...

You gotta do what is right for you. While I will miss you like crazy we'll meet again. Glad you feel more at ease as I know you weren't totally satisfied. see you for sopranos marathon. the finale was on last night too.    



At 02:18, Blogger Victoria said...

Hey Christine-
You sound like you know what you want to do and I think you're right to leave if you are thinking even a little about wasting away in your town for a year. That being said, if you find yourself in NY next year give me a call! Also, I'm helping my uncle bring his boat down to florida so I may be down in your neck of the woods sometime in late fall. I hope with your late decision you still get time to do the things you want to do before leaving. See you at leavers!    



At 04:30, Blogger Cee Pee said...

manuel, all i've gotta say is..roadtrip baby!

victoria, dont even get my hopes up..! if your headin down to the swamp, let me know! i'll have my same email..! and ooooh, NY is callin my name    



» Post a Comment