Tales From A Broad

My year of teaching English in Japan is up. Next mission: backpack Asia before going home to the U.S.A. Currently HOME!





A Traditional Tea Ceremony


Around the Himeji's castle grounds is a traditional teahouse for a tea ceremony. I’ve really come to like matcha (green tea) a lot, despite its bitterness and i love all the care that goes into serving it. Since it’s spring break for all schools around the country, the people serving me were little school girls in kimonos.


I think that they were shocked to see a foreigner, but they were soooo cute. This girl was the most fascinated because even though the ceremony was suposed to be serious, she kept snekaing a peek at me with a curious little smile. Everytime I whispered, "Thank you", she'd giggle as quietly as she could.


They served me 2 glasses of matcha, a sweet omochi and a plate of azuki (sweet red beans). I still haven’t mastered the art of sitting in seiza position (my legs go numb after 10 minutes), but it was fun trying.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment