Tales From A Broad

My year of teaching English in Japan is up. Next mission: backpack Asia before going home to the U.S.A. Currently HOME!





When, oh when...

No other nation is as obsessive and naive* about the changing of the seasons as the Japanese. Can you blame them? In a country where climate control** is still a thing of the distant future and with such extremes between the brutal humid summers and bone-numbing winters, fall and spring are more than just welcomed. They are celebrated with parties, drunken old men, countdowns, festivals, drunken old men, charts and more drunken old men. With the spring comes the infamous sakura (cherry trees). All the news channels do full on presentations about the exact timing of when these iconic trees will blossom with graphs and all. The best way I can explain it is like this: I've never lived or been anywhere where my lifestyle was so influenced by the weather. I've got a portable heater that heats one room and layers upon layers of clothes in my own house. As a result, I've turned into a winter hermit. Hate to complain, but this Floridian has had enough. Thankfully, spring is so close that I can almost taste it.

* Any Japanese person will tell you that Japan is the only country with 4 seasons, and some will even go as far to say that, with the rainy season, there are 5. With such conviction, who wants to burst their bubble?

**The dichotomy in this country is astounding. They can invent the fastest, safest train in the world--the bullet train--but they cling onto to basic rudimentary ways to stay comfortable by shunning centralized heating and cooling. Instead, I'm left with a toxic kerosene heater at school in the winter and a paper fan with a picture of (insert cheesy, too cute cartoon character here) in the summer. Inefficient? Absolutely. Typically Japanese? Without a doubt.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

At 07:09, Blogger goongirl said...

No you have a very "ghetto" 1970's heater that is probably giving you brain cancer. I can't talk. My kero heater makes me high.    



At 20:17, Blogger Chocamocha said...

perfectly said. the contradictions in this country never fail to amaze!    



» Post a Comment