Tales From A Broad

My year of teaching English in Japan is up. Next mission: backpack Asia before going home to the U.S.A. Currently HOME!





Japanese Fact #43

Poo is funny all over the world.

A conversation with Sayako, my favorite high school student:
Me: You haven’t eaten lunch? You must be so hungry!
Sayako: I am not. I no poo.
Me: Tee-hee-hee...you can’t poo? How did you learn that word!?!
Sayako: My friend. What do you say in English?
Me: Constipated...(now drawing a diagram)...constipated=no poo; diarrhea=a lot of poo.
Sayako: Could I say, “I diarrhea?”
Me: (giggling is now full-force laughter) NO, I think you’d have to say, “I have diarrhea.” How do you say constipated in Japanese?
Sayako: Watashi wa benpi desu. “Benpi” means “poo secret.”
Me: So...you have a secret poo?!


« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

At 06:28, Blogger Karen said...

One of my high school students, Yuki, amazes me. He refuses to talk about his girlfriend in class. In fact, I'm apparently priviledged to even know that he has one at all (he mentioned that guys are usually private about their love lives.) BUT he has absolutely NO QUALMS about discussing his frequent irregular bowel problems.

But then again, this is the country where people enjoy public-displays of treasure nose-digging.    



At 07:10, Blogger Turning Japanese said...

Fantastic...    



» Post a Comment