Tales From A Broad

My year of teaching English in Japan is up. Next mission: backpack Asia before going home to the U.S.A. Currently HOME!





Halloween: Part 1

I love Halloween. I love it so much that I'm not going to let being away from home stop me from celebrating it. Even though Japanese don't officially celebrate it, many of them know what it is. For the last couple of weeks, I've been brainwashing my students with useless Halloween games and trivia so that they too will love Halloween. MUAHAHA! First, I threw a Halloween party for the kids at my school for the disabled. This is the junior high department. We made Jack O' Lantern hats and I told them about the different monsters (ghosts are white...vampires don't like garlic, etc). I gave the teachers candy and had the students go trick or treating in the staff room. They think that American kids are so lucky for getting all this candy from stranger's houses. These are the kids in the elementary school department. Some of them are too incapacitated to speak at all, so we just went around the school, showing off the costumes.
Then, I had the students at my technical high school carve pumpkins. Teaching at this school is always really fun and relaxing because the english teacher I pair up with is only 23 and lived in New Zealand. His name is Atsushi (I call him "Hot Sushi"...if you've ever read the book "Hokkaido Highway Blues," then you prolly know what I mean) and his English is excellent, but he definitely talks like a Kiwi. That day, he told me that he didn't like Justin Timberlake because he's, "a piker." hahaAside from threatening each other with the carving knifes, I saw some of the guys eat the raw insides of the pumpkins, throw seeds down each other's shirts and one of them caved an a-hole on the backside of their pumpkin. I was cracking up. High schools students are the same in every country.I find it so endearing how affectionate Japanese people are with their friends of the same gender. They're always jumping on each other's backs, putting their arms around each other, mess around by touching their necks, hands, faces, whatever. It's so un-American. Back home, we have this ridiculous notion of what masculinty is. If an American did the same thing, they would be considered gay.Finally, I had the girls in my english club at my base high school decorate the english room. Every Friday after school, I run the English club, so we're always doing random things like listening to American music or looking through english magazines. There are 8 girls and these are two of them. These girls are really sweet. When I first got to Japan, they threw me a welcome party with all things Japanese: an intro to J-music, chopsticks and a J-plate, mochi (a desert filled with red bean paste), and an intro to all the festivals around town. The girl on the left is awesome at English and I always encourage her to keep at it. She entered a speech contest, so I help her with pronunciation and what not. This skeleton was so cheesy...I know. Every day I have to clean with the students, and one of the guys moved the skeleton's legs so that they were spread eagle and put its hand over the crotch. One of the other teachers was scolding him but he didn't stop. I wanted to laugh sooooo hard, but I knew I had to keep my poker face on or else the other teacher might have gotten pissy.

This is just the beginning of my Halloween in Japan. To be continued...
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

At 23:19, Blogger Mo said...

I miss you for Halloween Christy! Napolean Dynamite and Pedro are the cool costumes this year. "Tina,come eat your food."
Other good ones I saw were a woopie cushion, some white kid as fat albert, and a one night stand (this guy dressed as a night stand with a lampshade hat)    



At 20:35, Blogger tito said...

i miss you for halloween christy! i was a beater this year    



At 22:18, Blogger Mo said...

i didn't know you dressed up T    



At 07:43, Blogger Cee Pee said...

Someone was a one night stand? Thats classic! haha I wish I coulda been there...T-Wax, it doesn't need to be a holiday for you to be a beater...being a beater is a year-long thing, the gift that keeps on giving!    



» Post a Comment