Tales From A Broad

My year of teaching English in Japan is up. Next mission: backpack Asia before going home to the U.S.A. Currently HOME!





School's Back for Summer

This pic was taken at Sports Day.

Japanese students started school last week and are already prepping for entrance exams and club activities. Although I have one base school, Tokuyama Senior High School, I'll be visiting 6 other schools in my city: 1 technical high school, 1 junior high school, 3 elementary schools and a school for disabled children. My base school is for honor students and is ranked #1 in my city. These kids are complete overachievers; even during the summertime, they'd come in and practice their club activity, Judo, badminton, even play in their rock bands.

The students are really friendly and they love to chase me down the hallways and yell, "Harrrrooo!!!" No marriage proposals yet, but I've lost count how many times I've been asked if I have a boyfriend. The girls are in awe of my curly hair, clothes and tell me I have "cute body," grabbing my stomach, laughing. It's kinda weird b/c they are tiny in Japan; my foot is bigger than most of their heads. So, I put stickers on their shirts and laugh.

This is a pic of some elementary school boys playing during recess.

I visited my first elementary school last week, too. The kids are too cute with their little mushroom haircuts and Digimon (Japanimation character) backpacks. The 1st and 2nd graders run up to me and ask for my autograph. I eat lunch with them, play Duck, Duck, Goose with them at recess and teach them about what Florida and America are like (usually constitutes pointing and grunting).
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

At 20:43, Blogger kt said...

thats so nice! everything sounds so nice!    



» Post a Comment