Tales From A Broad

My year of teaching English in Japan is up. Next mission: backpack Asia before going home to the U.S.A. Currently HOME!





Fukuoka is my fave

I went to Fukouka on Friday night with a few of the 'Guch crew to check out the scene. Aside from Hiroshima, it's the nearest major city to me. I fell in love with the city instantly (more so than any other I've been to here). There wasn't a piece of trash anywhere and, fully equipped with cobblestones and a water fountain clock, even the subways were immaculate. Fukouka screams Japan without overdoing it. There are the bright lights without the tackiness. The cool hipsters without the cutesiness that infamously plagues J-culture. The art deco dotting the streets without the hippie-wannabes.

Hannah, Jeannette, Paul, Pete, Marina, Jason, Sunny and I checked out the infamous “Happy Cock (not as gay as it sounds)” for some good 'ol clubbing action. The poor Japanese try so hard to dance, but they end up looking like those games at Chuck E. Cheese's where you have to hit the weasels with a cushion mallet when they come out of their hole: one pops up here, and BAM, they've clumsily bumped into the next hopeless dancer; another bobs up for air there, and BAM, they've spilt their drink. But the most pathetic attempt was a middle-aged woman, well passed her prime, gyrating her Black Wranglers and mesh black top (think Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation) to the Black Eyed Peas. Bless their hearts.

We were supposed to check into a capsule hotel that night, but considering the fact that it was 5 in the morning and we had a bus to catch at 8, we decided to nix the plans and raid Lawson's, the nearest convenient store. As you can see, Pete and I didn't last as long as the others. What was supposed to be a military style power nap, back-to-back, ended up being a hibernation session on a park bench. I can't wait to go back to Fukouka.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

At 08:36, Blogger Stubby said...

Hehe...Nice pics hey...Liked them alot!!!    



At 16:47, Blogger goongirl said...

Ah the 'Cock. Many fond memories of the place. Especially this time around ;P. Well done on the all you can drink bracelet I hope you did some damage. I love the sexism in this country, girls drink cheaper!    



At 19:20, Blogger Bo Diddly said...

you don't know me but I am a friend of Thianh's. I went to Fukuoka in 2001 and loved it. i stayed in the Seahawk hotel (the one with the baseball dome attached to it). I am thinking about doing the teach in japan program also. sounds like you are having fun there.    



At 23:52, Blogger Cee Pee said...

Hey Bo Diddly...def recommend it..the program is quite cushy and pays pretty well considering our workload (which is almost at a bare minimum...main prereq is that you can play with kids and have fun). if you want more info, feel free to write me..qbnnole08@aol.com watch out for the Thianh-meister..he's a crazy one. ;)    



» Post a Comment