Tales From A Broad

My year of teaching English in Japan is up. Next mission: backpack Asia before going home to the U.S.A. Currently HOME!





Lemme Rewind



*This pic is of me and the english teachers at my school. They threw me a welcome party!*

I know that I've been m.i.a. for most of the people in the States, but I finally have internet, soooo let me wrap up my life in the past month. Ever since I got on that flight from Miami to Tokyo, it's been a complete whirlwind of new faces, places, foods and jetlag (when I wasn't sleeping on the plane, I was watching Family Guy episodes on my computer with one of the guys who sat next to me). Orientation was one big blur, but I met tons of people from all over the world especially the U.K., Australia and New Zealand.

Allison, one of my buddies from high school, met up with me and took me around the city which was really helpful. Catching up was just what I needed after all those workshops and sessions during the day. But, the highlight of that first week was meeting all the other JETS in Yamaguchi. Japan is really big on all-you-can-eat-and-drink places, so we went to one and bonded over fish salad and drafts. In good Jap fashion, we ended the night at a karaoke bar which has sort of become one of our late night traditions. I've officially overdosed on Bruce Springstein.

After Tokyo, JET flew us out to Yamaguchi. The person in charge of me, Nakazumi-sensei, picked me up and drove me to my city, Tokuyama. He loves U2 and and drives like he's on a sewing machine--a complete spaz, he's great.

Luckily Yamaguchi is one of the greenest parts of Japan (real grass in Japan is a raraity), but my city is really industrial ("Smokuyama"). There are 150,000 people who live here (half the size of Tally) and I'm centrally located in the downtown, next to to the train station, pubs and bars, Jap skaters and surfers, and boutiques. My apartment isn't nearly as small as my predecessor made it out to be. I fit 7 people in here last Friday.

So much more to say, but I'll leave it for tomorrow...soo tired.
« Home | Next »

» Post a Comment